Saturday, May 26, 2012

Buggaboo Update

Since we're moving we had Bennett's 2 year check up a little early. He's turning into a real moose!

Height: 36 in (95%)
Weight: 31.5 lb (90%)
Head: 49.5 cm (75%)

Bennett continues to grow and change on a daily basis (when will they stop that already?!). A few weeks ago I was actually starting to get a little worried because Bennett at almost 22 months was still only saying around 20 words. Kids have some sort of sixth sense, the minute you say something about them to someone, good or bad, they will immediately prove you wrong. They just can't resist making you look like a fool. Sure enough, the day after I talked to my mom about his lack of speech, he picked up about 10 new words. Within a couple weeks he was up to around 100 new words and is starting to put them together. He even told us his first joke. 

It goes like this. At random times in the day, when he's eating breakfast or getting ready for a nap, he'll exclaim, "Out. Costco. Dog!" We tell him no, of course it's not time for a Costco hotdog. He then smirks at us and giggles. This joke is funny enough to tell us several times a day.

Let's see...other fun things. He still refuses to call trucks, trucks. He can say it, but he insists on calling them, "jooosh" (the sound a truck engine makes). Cars are cars, trains are choo choos, but trucks are jooosh. Bennett just figured out how to throw the basketball into his hoop, not just dunk it. He still loves to show us his belly and often does it when he's in trouble or Mark and I aren't paying attention to him. He uses it as an enticement to come and play with him, like, "hey Mom, put your computer away and come tickle my belly, it'll be fun!"

Bennett will repeat almost anything you say to him. We're working on "U! S! A!" in preparation for the summer Olympics, Chris taught him "Ur-ray-ni-um" last week. I'm not really sure why...maybe we need a mad scientist in the family (I'm more the benevolent kind)? On Mother's Day Mark got him to say, "Happy Mama Day". So sweet ;) \

Most things he says pretty well, but sometimes he gets a wire crossed. Vitamins for example are "meh-lons". We taught him I love you and it goes something like this. Say I. I.Love. Agga. You. You! Ask him to say it quickly though, all together and he says I looo. The L gets in there when he combines love and you, but when we do it word by word, no matter how many times we go over it, love = agga.
Bennett usually gets up early and asks us for "egg!" and "toast!". He would live on peas and eggs and toast if you let him. Bribery works incredibly well on him and he insists on wearing his cool shoes. Today he threw a fit when I tried to put a different pair of shoes on him. He screeches the most horrifying high pitched sound a lot, which makes my ears bleed. I'm hoping it's a very short phase because there's not enough advil in the world for me to deal with it for long. He just went through a growth spurt so he's been particularly clumsy and keeps running into things with his head. I'm quickly learning that having a giant 2 year old is not always a good thing. He kicks, hits, rams, pummels and bludgeons me and Mark on a daily basis. It's not fun.

I think that's pretty much all our little bug (or buggaboo or boogadaloo or buggityboo) has been up to. Let's do some pictures!

Bennett and his buddy Jack having a play date. These little buddies are going to miss one another in nursery :(

After Mark finished finals the weather cooperated and we got to go spend a perfect day at Zuma. Mark is in possession of the strawberries in this picture. Bennett loves strawberries (bey-yies) like nobody's business. He insisted on stealing my chair so he could adequately feast on the berries...

...He also finagled the container of berries away from Mark so he could have them all for himself. Not too surprising, Mark is a total pushover.

Following Daddy to the water to get more water.

 Bennett is really starting to mimic everything we do. I'm sometimes surprised by his astute observations. After seeing Mark spackle a couple holes, he went and dug out the closest looking toy he could find in his toy bin and started following Mark around spackling the wall too.

Bennett is still every bit his mother's son. He's very serious about his observation of the world.

He's also his father's son. Just look at that cheesy face and those dimples. I love watching him experience something with pure joy. We adults can't do that, our joy is always at least a little muddled by our cares and problems. Not a problem for this guy. I smelled the flowers, they smell nice, life is perfect. That's all there is to it. Hold onto that my sweet little bug! Childhood is fleeting.

2 comments:

  1. He's so sweet. I want him and Hal to be friends. I'm serious...the economy is Dallas is doing well. It will grow on you. Hal's first joke was also food related. When ever given a choice like say "do you want a brother or a sister" he responds "Apple juice" then laughs hilariously. He also has a shoe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cutie! He sounds so smart!!

    ReplyDelete