Thursday, February 2, 2012

Conflict Resolution: Toddler Style

Bennett has three methods for dealing with conflict. If we catch him with something really bad, he throws the offending object at us and running in the opposite direction. This habit is particularly offensive because it usually involves something breakable (cell phone) or messy (mascara...that was hideous).

Bennett is in that hilarious phase of mental development where "I can't see you" = "You can't see me". If Bennett isn't necessarily in trouble, but wants to avoid whatever distasteful task we have for him, he covers his eyes with his hands and thinks we can't see him. He reliably does this when we wet the washcloth to wipe him down after dinner.His third method is my favorite: Again, when Bennett isn't necessarily in trouble, but gets caught doing something mischievous (like fiddling with the diaper pail), he skips the hands over the eyes and just closes his eyes really tight. My favorite part is the grin, like he's really proud of himself for pulling one over on us, "Heh heh, I'm not doing anything wrong because I'm invisible!"
***Editor's note: Oh yeah, I forgot one. Conflict resolution method number 4: If an agreeable compromise can't be reached, throw blocks at mom's head.

1 comment:

  1. That is awesome! He and Owen are two peas in a pod. I love that he closes his eyes and does the "if I can't see you, you can't see me" thing. He is so so cute and I love his big, cheesy grin. This totally made me smile.

    ReplyDelete