Thursday, November 4, 2010

Halloween Scene

I get tired when I think about writing a Halloween blog, but with a 2 1/2 hour nap under my belt, I think I'm up to it. (For the record, I'm not a lazy bum that EVER takes 2 1/2 hour naps, but I'm sick and got up at 5:45 am and my usual alarm clock decided to sleep way past his usual 1 1/2 hour nap.)

Halloween was a busy one for me this year, since I'm the newly appointed activities co-chair for our church ward, I had a big party to plan! It went better than I expected. I felt really unqualified to plan, decorate and throw a party for 75-100 people. We did a chili cook off, desserts, trunk-or-treat (people dress up their cars and the kids go trick or treating in the parking lot), costume contest and some kiddie activities. I didn't get very many pictures because I was too busy running around like a chicken with my head cut off. The only problem with the party was about 20-30 more people that we expected came to the party, so we were a little short on food (anyone who's been to an LDS gathering knows there is NEVER a shortage of food), so I felt a little guilty that people didn't get to eat their fill. Hopefully there was enough Halloween candy floating around to make up for the lack of chili.
The best part of the night - the young women and men of the ward did a very legit Thriller routine. It was AMAZING.My favorite part about Halloween is the costumes. I was so excited to finally have a baby to dress up. I made Bennett's giraffe costume and it was so much fun to design and execute, I hope my kids always let me make their costumes - I live for this sort of thing!
Mark's new favorite picture of Bennett. We caught a great, "What the heck are these people doing to me?!" face.
Mark and I were rummaging through the Wheeler's storage closet and found these sweet old school Burberry trench coats. I was instantly inspired to be 80's detectives (Notice my shoes - yeah, I realized I don't own a single pair of sensible looking, close-toed flats. This was as close to cop shoes as I could find in my closet. I guess I'm more like the TV version of a female detective). Detective Wheeler and Ron Burgundy win the "nastiest mustache" award. Gross.There was a lot of unrealistically attractive law enforcement at the party...we must have been sharing brain waves. Two detectives and a giraffe pretending to be a Power Ranger here? Not sure, but I like it!

3 comments:

  1. i hear ya on being tired just thinking about blogging, i hope someday i can catch up, i just fear i will never have the energy! and oh my goodness, you MADE his costume?? have you been hiding your awesome sewing skills from me?? i am super impressed, i knew you did blankets, but that is fantastic, nice work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kaela you make me sick! Honestly, making your own costumes.. all cute and everything!! I think I may have to recruit you to make Brinley's next year. Anyways, nice cop getup! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe you MADE his costume! Who wouldn't be okay with their moms making their costumes if they look that amazing? I'm seriously SO impressed. Good work. And you guys are super cute as 80's detectives.

    ReplyDelete