Friday, November 12, 2010

Did That Really Just Happen?!

I am so angry right now and I'm sorry but can I just RANT to someone?

I was checking out of Costco and Bennett was about 10 minutes past naptime and started crying. No. WAILING. There's no calming this child down when he's in his car seat, not moving and decides he doesn't want to be in it anymore. Unfortunately, it's against the law or something for me to drive without him strapped into it, so, sorry kiddo. While I'm trying to sooth him this lady in the lane next to me says, "You need to pick him up, that works best."

My thoughts: "Geeee, I'd never thought of that?! You mean holding a crying child will calm him down more quickly than being strapped down in the car seat tha
t he detests?! Duh Lady! But, he'll start crying the minute I put him back in his car seat, which is in about 30 seconds after I get checked out. So instead of picking him up, I'm going to focus on getting out of here as quickly as possible because he's going to fall asleep the moment I start driving."

What I said, "Yeah..."

When nothing is calming him down, I just covered his seat with a blanket to block out the light and held his little hand under the blanket. I turned back to the checker and after a few seconds she SHOUTS at me with disgust, across the aisle, in a very crowded Costco, "You can't just ignore your baby!" I turned around to her and said exactly what my thoughts were (minus the expletives), "Excuse me?! I believe I'm his mother!"

I COULD NOT believe she just did that! I was furious! Obviously, I wasn't ignoring my kid, as described above, I know my little boy and was doing exactly what would help him specifically, the most. This lady didn't get an explanation for my actions because:

1. I don't owe a complete stranger in Costco ANY explanation for my parenting methods.
2. See #1

This was a long rant and I'm sorry for anyone who stuck through it, but honest to goodness, I am so mad right now! Did that really just happen?! I didn't feel embarrassed that Bennett was screaming his fool head off at Costco. He's a baby, they do that. But I felt so embarrassed because this random woman just berated me in public and insinuated that I was a poor mother and she apparently knows what my kid needs better than I do! I wanted to invite everyone who saw this exchange over to my house to see my happy, well fed, smiling little boy who clearly loves his Momma more than anyone else in the world, because here's the thing. I may not be great at a lot of things, but I am a Dang. Good. Mom.

Ok, I now that I feel better this post is too crabby, so I'll leave you with a picture of my happy little boy...who decided that the laundry basket is super fun.

4 comments:

  1. oh friend! I hate everyone. One time when I was in wal mart and Darby was small. (Like 2) It was way past nap time and I tried to push it one more errand. She had an ear infection and I was pregnant. SHe was FLIPPING and I was ignoring (I had tried carrying, bribing, feeding, drugging, etc.) Another WISER mother (with all her make up on) let me know that Darby was spoiled and I should leave rather than put the public through her tirade! I walked away in tears having said nothing. 3 isles later I got MAD! I sought her out. In the chip isle (Darby still freaking out and I have NO make up on) I let her have it? "How old is your youngest?" "Excuse me?" "I asked you a question about your obviously perfect children" her youngest was a teenager. I then let her know that we had been up almost all night with an ear ache and I was constipated AND having contractions, we HAD to finish our errands before we went home for both of us to lie down and try to keep this other baby inside me! I asked her to remember when her kids were little and the possibility that she may have forgotten how hard it was. I let her know that I was SURE she had forgotten because she would have never been that rude if it was fresh in her mind. In fact she would have probably hugged me and bought me a diet coke and told me how wonderful I was doing.
    She walked away and never bought me a diet coke. BUT from that lesson I ALWAYS help another mom out. Diet coke, a candy bar, chasing other kids or a wink that says you are doing the very best you can right now. SOrry that lady was a big ol' bootch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...haha that is RIDICULOUS! I keep thinking that the second lady who commented on your parenting probably doesn't have kids... well even if she does it doesn't matter. The comment was inappropriate and very unhelpful - adding more stress to your situation. You should have included something along the lines of how I would love to pay more attention to my baby, and in order for me to do that I need you to check my groceries. *big smile*

    Babies cry and throw fits - and I am happy to see a parent react with composure rather than getting upset. (Though I know I get frustrated at times.) Anyways, keep up the good work! You are a loving and affectionate mother. And even the most over-protective mothers can't prevent their child from crying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. craziness! what what she thinking?? maybe she was having a really horrible day, or maybe she is just mean, but either way she was WRONG. you are a great momma and clearly know what works for your baby boy-forget about her. don't waste another second of your self on her negativity. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super funny post. I FEEL your anger and would be livid myself. Miss you, ma'am!

    ReplyDelete