So...yesterday Bennett and I stopped by Costco to get gas and gelato ($1.50 for gelato in the foodcourt!). One of the flavors of gelato is pistachio, so obviously we have to be careful about cross contamination. In the past we just asked the gelato guy to get a clean scoop from the back (not one in the communal pistachio tainted water) and scoop from a fresh tub of ice cream. Well, this time they didn't have any fresh tubs and the guy, who was already acting like it was a huge inconvenience to go get a fresh scoop, asked if he could just scrape off the top layer and get the fresh stuff. I said fine, but then another woman came to also scoop ice cream. They were obviously making fun of me and my requests behind the glass (it's sound proof, not opaque, you turds) and then she goes and uses a dirty scoop to get ice cream exactly where he was scooping our ice cream. Sigh. I had a little naggy feeling to tell him to throw it away and get us a soft serve or something instead, but I was feeling embarrassed and holding up a line so I just took the cone and did my best to not give Bennett the last scoop that had been touched by her dirty scoop.
Let this entry be a reminder to me, trust your gut at all times! Poor Bennett has had diarrhea all day and a bright red, painful bum thanks to me. No more Costco gelato for us I guess :( I can't believe how sensitive he is. This nut allergy thing suuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.
I also really want a button that says, "My son is allergic to nuts. REALLY allergic. Not nut sensitive, nut hating or avoiding nuts because Dr. Oz said to. Allergic." I feel like a lot of people roll their eyes at me when I say he's allergic to nuts. I should carry around a picture of my poor little puffy, blotchy boy from his first reaction...Sigh.
That is so annoying. Stupid people! Sorry...
ReplyDeleteI realize this is way late to be posting a comment to this, but, as a mama to six kiddos and 3 grandbabies...HELLLOOOO!? Did the "kids" working the counter really need to be so rude? Me being as "seasoned" shall we say, and having worked at Baskin Robbins ice cream, I would have reported their butts to the main store managment. Go straight to the top next time something like that happens!!!! They could have put your son in serious danger if you hadn't known they had contaminated the gelato! You could have been in your car on the way home and your lil guy might have quit breathing in the back seat unbeknownst to you!!! What would they have said then? Ok..enough of a rant.
ReplyDelete