Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Our Little Karate Kid

Baby had his second check up today and he is not happy about it. The doctor did a doppler to check up on his heart beat and my little black belt hasn't stopped kicking since! Sometimes it's reassuring to feel the life inside of me and sometimes it just makes me feel like I've got some strange alien in my stomach, waiting to burst out. Baby is 21 weeks old today and the doctor confirmed what I suspected, he's made of lead. Before the last visit at 17 weeks, I'd put on about 3 pounds. Since then, in 4 weeks, I've put on 9 pounds! It's crazy because none of my measurements have changed besides my stomach, but when I look down, there is no way this bump is almost 13 pounds! I suppose I should keep in mind that this baby has two parents with very dense bones...

This doctor visit didn't provide any exciting revelations. She warned me not to drink fruit juice if I'm worried about the weight gain (weird, since I don't drink fruit juice?) and told me to quit walking so darn much! I do tend to walk several miles a day and my feet are really unhappy so I have to cut it down to a few miles a day until my feet feel better (if ever). She reassured me that I can do just about any pilates/yoga exercise I feel like, but that I need to keep my heart rate under 110 bpm when doing cardio. Am I the only one that thinks that is a reeeeally low number? It was good to have the chance to ask her about that sort of thing because, as anyone who's been pregnant before can tell you, pregnancy books/websites can make you paranoid about everything. They'll keep you from eating, drinking and doing just about anything and everything!

I was going to post my baby bump pic for the week of me in my cute new swimsuit, but then my friend Angie, who's a pattern maker for a local designer who happens to do maternity, sent these shirts my way, so I thought I'd show one of them off. I love it!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVED the elliptical when I was pregnant. I got a good workout with out the bounce of the belly and my feet hurting. I love the shirt by the way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally didn't listen to the heart rate number that they gave me, it was too low...just try to be pushing so hard that you are panting(aka not getting enough oxygen in) and you should be fine! i LOVED swimming laps for my workout when i was prego, so easy on all joints and feet and legs and was a crazy good workout:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so exciting! I find myself missing the baby kicks these days and it's super crazy to look down at the little boy stretching and kicking and realize THAT is what was inside of me creating the chaos!

    ReplyDelete