Sunday, January 22, 2012

Christmas Part 1

Finally doing the Christmas blogs...there's a lot to write (and leave out)! We flew to Alaska for the first time in two years, which was obviously Bennett's first visit. Our entire marriage Mark has been hearing about the legendary snowfall Valdez gets (Snowiest place in the US!), but the two Christmases we've been home for were both crappy and rainy, not snowy. This year made up for it in spades. Valdez is on pace to tie the 1989 winter that set the record. It snowed and snowed and snowed and it was AWESOME!

We had so much fun in the snow. Bennett loved being pulled around in his toboggan and I loved having an excuse to wear my Uggs again. Mark loved going on walks and not sweating :)
Bennett made lots of new friends on our trip, Uncle Kelvan was a big hit.
Aunt Chrissy and Bennett had lots of fun too. She probably has more experience with little kids than any of the rest of us and it showed!
The highlight of Bennett's entire Alaskan experience was having Ryder around. Every time Ryder pup came into the room Bennett would point and shout, "Beebee! (puppy)" like he'd never seen him before. It was love at first sight every single time. Ryder liked all the attention so the love was mutual :)

A few days into our trip we met up with a bunch of Valdez High alum to play snowshoe softball. It was so much fun, hopefully I can get some pictures of us actually playing from someone to post. It was also really hard and awkward (as you can probably imagine) and supremely Alaskan :)Just got this photo from Katie - the whole gang, as you can see, it was snowing really hard, which just made it more fun!
Mom and I making some cookies. It's not like we didn't have enough food around already for the holidays (hello, chex mix), but nothing says Christmas like carbs, right?
Our traditional Christmas Eve seafood feast. My favorite food is crab, my mother knows this and uses this knowledge to lure me home.
Bennett playing some piano with Grandma. He was very interested in the piano. Christmas morning we looked over and he plunked the keys, then turned the page of the sheet music and kept playing, just like he saw grandma do. So cute! Shortly after this picture he also climbed up into Grandma's lap to play with her, then pushed her hands away so he could play all by himself. So funny, that boy!

Christmas morning opening our stockings

Kelvan, Chrissy and Ryder with their stocking.
I always think I'm finally getting really good at sewing, then I see something my mom's made (like this Christmas wall hanging) and realize I have sooooo far to go still. Nice to know how good I can get though, right? Thanks, Mom!
Funny story about this picture...For as long as I can remember, Kelvan asked me for the same thing every year, t-shirts. We call it the Kelvan special around here: two t-shirts. Kelvan was wearing the middle shirt Christmas morning, I gave him the shirt on the left and Chrissy gave him the one on the right. At least we know what he likes, right?
Grandpa Ken and Bennett opening his gifts. Dad gave Bennett a carved wooden bus that Kelvan's when he was little. Bennett immediately took it and drove it across the ground saying, "vroom, vroom!" He'd never once done that with his little cars or trucks at home. So funny how it just suddenly clicked.
It's always a struggle to get presents for dads, am I the only one who feels that way? This year though, I thought of the perfect gift for the man (or in my case, men) who don't need much. Snuggies! Sylvi is probably still mad at me for sending such a large and obnoxious piece of fabric to her beautiful new home, but I couldn't resist! Dad made fun of his when he opened it, laughing while he tried it on...then fell asleep not five minutes later. Who's laughing now, eh Dad?
Bennett giving "sweet hugs" to Ryder. (We say sweet hugs around here, to differentiate from the less sweet hugs/more toddler-like affection he sometimes doles out)
The last couple times I've been home I didn't get to see two of my dearest and oldest friends. This year, I got to spend almost an entire week with Liz and several days with Elise, it was such a treat! I made Bennett a hat for the trip because he needed a new warm hat and it looked so cute I decided I to make my girls and myself matching ones. Aren't we cute? :)
This picture just says, "Alaska Christmas" to me. It's a beaded seal fur ornament hanging on a hand cut spruce in my dear friend, Madame Kelly's cabin on the beach. Doesn't get more AK than that, does it? I love Christmas, especially when I get to spend it at home :)

1 comment:

  1. You forgot to mention that I totally dominated snowshoe softball! Where's the love?

    ReplyDelete