Friday, September 10, 2010

Bennett's Blessing

Bennett was blessed in church the last Sunday in August. For those of you that aren't familiar with the LDS church, fathers (usually) get to give their children a special blessing at the beginning of their lives. They officially give them their name as they'll be known in the church and it's a special opportunity for dads speak to their children on Heavenly Father's behalf, to let them know some of the blessings in store for them in their lives and special talents/virtues/goals they might have. Mark was nervous about having this responsibility, but he did great. Bennett is a lucky little man to have such a loving daddy. Something that stuck out in particular to me from the blessing is that Bennett was advised seek out his life's passion and to set and reach for his goals. As a parent we get caught up in the things we want for our kids and this was an early reminder to me to let him find what makes him happy and support him as he tries to achieve his dreams.

We invited several of our friends to come and share in our special day. It's always hard to invite people to church. You don't want to offend anyone or strain your friendships, but I'm glad we were able to extend the invite for two reasons.

1. The Gospel really does mean the world to me. I love church and I love my Savior. Becoming a Latter-Day Saint has given me so much peace, comfort, joy, direction and purpose that I want to share it with the people I care about. If you have something in your life that makes you happy - you want to share it with the people you love - for no other reason than because you want them to be happy too and this might help them like it helped you.
2. Church is such a big part of who I am, I want to let the people I care about see and understand this side of me. I once had a friend say something along the lines of, "I really like you - even though you're a Mormon." I wish I would have thought to say to him then, "No, you really like me because I'm a Mormon." I am who I am because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The best parts of me anyway. That's why I want to share my beliefs with my friends and family - because my beliefs are who I am.

Bennett in his blessing outfit. Notice that his booties are off his feet - he got those suckers off his feet in the time it took me to turn around and pick up the camera.

Mom, Dad and baby

The Wheelers.
We didn't mean to coordinate our wardrobe so fabulously - we're just that in sync.

Mark and I are lucky to have so many friends from school that came to support us and Bennett (and enjoy the waffles Mark Sr. was making post blessing). Thanks everyone - we're so glad you came!

That looks says Alicia's teaching Bennett something she shouldn't be.

Dan getting his "baby fix"

Landon and Bennett wearing their cranky faces.

Love this little man!

No comments:

Post a Comment