
This is my daddy. He's responsible for roughly half of who and what I am. I can credit him for my artistic abilities, ridiculously high arched feet and a love of all things black licorice. Many of you may not know this, but I had the rare opportunity growing up to have a stay at home dad. This resulted in some misfires (going to church with my dress on backwards...a road trip where nothing but ketchup and cheese sandwiches were packed, yuck...) but it also had some great perks. An adventure could be waiting around any corner. One of my earliest memories is of off-roading with my dad. He let 2-3 year old me take the wheel in his lap, which I promptly turned hard right...towards Blueberry Lake. Luckily, his lighting fast reflexes righted our course before our truck became a submarine (I've since improved my driving skills, don't worry). My dad taught me the importance of family dinner, love and respect for my country and to never be afraid to get dirty and fix something with your own two hands.

This is my father-in-law, Mark Sr. (with his grandson Caleb, proving once again, his personal motto, "There's never a situation that doesn't call for a Hawaiian shirt.") His greatest gift to me, of course, is his youngest son, but in the past few years, I've learned a lot from him myself; how to enjoy a big Saturday breakfast, more trivia about potatoes than could ever be practical and that you should never miss an opportunity to make a friend.

This is the newest father in my life (he LOVES the Lakers and would like all of you to see his first Father's Day gift). Some wives don't think they should celebrate their husbands on Father's Day because they're not their fathers, but I think those women are wrong. While I'll cop to initially dating Mark for his broad shoulders and pretty blue eyes, it didn't take me long to realize that this was a man that was going to be a great father to my children. I've never met anyone nicer than my husband and I've long since given into the fact that he's going to be our kids' favorite parent because Mark Thomas is everyone's favorite person. I'm also grateful to know that I'll never want for an equal partner in parenthood because Mark is all about working hard and putting my needs before his own. I know he has his own dad to thank for those qualities, just like our son will someday be thanking Mark Thomas for teaching him how to be a great husband and father.
I have no picture of my last Father, but I would be remiss not to mention him. Many people view God as an ambiguous, omnipotent being, but I know that he is my actual Father in Heaven and we are truly His children. This knowledge gives me such comfort and the Gospel makes so much sense when I remember that relationship. Why does He give us rules and commandments? Because that's what a father must do. Why does he allow us to go through trials and tribulations? Because that's what a father must do. Why does he love us so unconditionally, despite our flaws and wrongdoings? Because that is what a father does.
Happy Father's Day everyone!
Beautiful Kaela, thank you!
ReplyDelete