Wednesday, June 2, 2010

36 Week Update

Baby had a big appointment today, our 36 week checkup. Not only does 36 weeks mean we only have a month left until we get to meet the munchkin, but we also got to take a look at him for the first time in a few months and probably for the last time until he actually makes his worldly debut.

I'm a little worn out, mostly because my appointment was over an hour late. I had the last appointment of the day and I knew it was going to be a long wait when I walked in and on the check-in sheet another woman waiting wrote down that she also had the 4:45 time slot. Uh oh. Not only was she waiting, but two other women in the lobby were in front of her. My hope that they were waiting for the other doctor in the office went out the window when I saw that other doctor leave with his briefcase. Crap. My doc apparently had a couple different emergencies that day, so what can you do? I would have really appreciated it though, if the receptionist could have taken the time to call me and tell me that they were running so far behind.

I can't complain that much though, because as I said, I had the last appointment of the day, so I was curious about the woman and her husband that came in after me. They paced nervously for the hour we sat in the lobby together and she eventually told me why they were there. She miscarried twins a few months back and now, a few days after initially confirming this pregnancy, she was spotting. I have a lot of friends that have had fertility issues and complications with their pregnancies and talking to this woman just reminded me of how much I have to be grateful for. I've had a relatively easy pregnancy with no health problems and our little boy appears to be perfectly healthy too. For that, I feel pretty blessed.

That being said, I am feeling plenty anxious these days! Mark and I both are, I think. We have four weeks left, then we become parents forever. I'm nervous about the whole birthing process and figuring out how to care for this little tiny human being. The nervousness is vastly overshadowed by excitement though. We are so excited to meet this little guy!
These scans are terrible, I know. You can't really get a good image at this point because he's so cramped in there, but I figured a fuzzy little picture was better than no picture at all. During the ultrasound you could clearly see him chewing, or possibly saying "ma ma ma ma...", who really knows, but it was darn cute. He then took both his little hands and covered his face. This picture is my favorite. If you look closely you can see him showing his Black Panther pride with his little fist up :)
Doc says right now baby is about 6 pounds, 3 ounces, give or take half a pound. I'm not showing any signs of early labor and babies usually put on about half a pound per week at this point, so we're probably looking at a 7 and 3/4 pound - 8 and 3/4 pound little boy. Not exactly small, but not HUGE like I was afraid of, so, phew!

That's all we have for baby news right now. I have an appointment every week from here on out, so we'll have another update for ya'll next week.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I can't believe this!!! You're all growing up so fast! :) love you K

    ReplyDelete