Tuesday, July 21, 2009

New York City

So, I decided I hate flickr, but I have added new photos from our trip to New York City on Facebook. You can find a more extended edition of our phototastic trip there. We are still in Alaska and I am currently attempting to juggle way too many electronic ventures. I'm updating iTunes, Facebook and the blog, oh boy! If my head doesn't explode, I should have things up to speed tonight.

New York was amazing. We went to visit my sister-in-law Jenn and see the sites of one of the world's most iconic cities. We did all of the usual touristy stuff, went to the top of the Empire State Building...

...Saw the Statue of Liberty...

...Brooklyn Bridge...

but, thanks to Jenn, we got to experience some of the lesser known joys in the city. We ate at the Shake Shack in Madison Square, got good Cuban food, Pudding on the Rice, magical hot chocolate...what can I say? I've quickly learned that Wheeler vacations center around good food.


One place we visited stood out in particular to me. We went to Ground Zero where the twin towers used to be. I'd never heard of the twin towers before 9/11 and while I recognized that it was major tragedy, being in New York gave me a better perspective on the event. All over the city in random shops there were still plenty of postcards featuring the Towers. It was almost eerie to be down by the site, where, in a city packed with sky scrapers and high rises there was this void. You could see clearly that something was missing. During our visit the government gave someone the ok, or at least overlooked something and a US Presidential 747 surrounded by F-16s flew low over NY Harbor, near Wall Street/9/11 and caused a panic. People were running through the streets outside their office buildings, afraid it was another attack. It never occurred to me that there were people still dealing with 9/11 issues. It was an eye opening experience for me.

On a lighter note, we capped off our visit with a trip to Yankee Stadium to watch Mark's favorite team, the Angels beat the snot out of the Yankees.

No comments:

Post a Comment