Sunday, August 9, 2009

God Save the Queen

It's Sunday and I was sitting around watching "Addicted to Beauty" on the Oxygen network, when it occurred to me that I should be doing something better with my day...So here it is, a long over due post about our week in England.

We flew from NYC to London in early May where Mark Thomas and I met up with Mark Sr. and Sylvi (for those not in the know, Mark's father is also Mark so in posts regarding both men Mark Thomas is "MT"). We drove out of London into the southern area of England. I naively thought we would go straight to our hotel for a long nap and a shower, but the Wheelers are much more adventurous than me. We began our grand European tour by visiting...COSTCO! Who knew? There are Costcos in England! After touring Mark Sr.'s favorite store, we visited Windsor Castle and then Oxford. I was blown away - every building was a masterpiece!

We moved on to Stratford upon Avon the next morning to visit Shakspeare's home and family estates. Everything was quaint and adorable, just like the cute little English men playing chess everywhere.

On our last day in the countryside we went to Warwick Castle which I would describe as Disneyland with a dungeon. It's a real castle that's been restored and shown with period-accurate rooms and lots of fun demonstrations. I'm obsessed with the English countryside. Buy me a couple of sheep and I'd move right now!


London was extraordinary. Maybe it's because my travelmates all lived there, but it was exotic and familiar at the same time. I spent a good portion of our time there just wandering. We went to Les Miserable on our second night in London. Words cannot describe...I've played the music before but the combination of the words, the score, the performers, the stage...it was magical. If the people next to me wouldn't have talked the whole time, or at least used their inside voices, it would have been perfect! We went to Wicked the next night, which next to Les Mis, wasn't quite as magical, but it was still spectacular. I wish I had an excuse to wear such fabulous, sparkly frocks!

We also did most of the typical touristy stuff...

Stonehenge...

Tower Bridge...

Buckingham Palace for the changing of the Guard...

The London Eye...

St. Paul's Cathedral...

Riding the Underground...

That's London in a nutshell, if you'd like to see more pictures, as always, check Facebook :)

Cheers! Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment