Sunday, March 7, 2010

Last week was a big one for baby. He had his big ultrasound on Monday and on Wednesday, celebrated his 23 week birthday, which officially makes him a viable human being, technically capable of surviving outside the womb!

The ultrasound went well, doc gave me and baby a clean bill of health. Baby is developing normally and on schedule and I am healthy as can be. She couldn't find the fibroid my OB had previously thought she'd seen, so either it disappeared or wasn't ever there. That was good news to hear. It was funny, my OB sent me to a specialist to get a better, more in-depth ultrasound than she could provide, so I ended up at a perinatologist's office. They specialize in high risk pregnancies for the most part, and I imagine that most commonly means obese pregnancies. I go in, get weighed and without a word, the nurse hands me a handout on proper diet during pregnancy. Ouch! I tried not to take it personally, but does it take that many brain cells to figure out that it's not the most tactful thing to do, weigh a hormonal pregnant woman who most likely already feels fat, hand her information on dieting and walk out of the room without explanation?! I took it home and reading it became very clear it's intended for doc's obese patients. Here's a couple choice snippets that I found funny (Doc was a very nice but educated, condescending woman, read these with that tone in mind)

"NO sweets of any sort except in small amounts...if you must, eat only a mouth full of your favorite dessert ONCE a day." (Makes me want to eat cookie dough just thinking about it)

"Limit your intake of cereals, breads and potatoes: NO french fries, no mashed potatoes with butter/sour cream, no bread with butter, no bread with peanut butter...Please buy cereals in high fiber. Eat no more than 1/4-1/2 a cup of cereal a day..." (Seriously?! Does she know what a 1/4 of cup of cereal looks like?)

"eat [these vegetables with higher sugar content] in moderation: green beans peas, colored peppers, carrots..." (You know you're on a strict diet if your doctor is limiting your intake of VEGETABLES!)

Made me very happy when doc said I was in perfect health and to keep up the good work. I shudder to think of a life without peanut butter and Life cereal!

Here's baby at 22 and a half weeks, 1lbs 3 oz (click on image to make it larger):



We do have a very nice, but very long ultrasound video as well, email me if you'd like it, as it's too long to put on the blog :(

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I feel sorry for the poor women who have to go through that diet! I think I usually had a sweet a day. During Easter season, I think it was double. I am a sucker for cadberry mini eggs!! Glad to hear that you and the baby are doing well. He looks healthy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog! I can't believe she handed you that booklet. Do you know I eat sugary cereal every morning? Maybe I should stop. And I eat PB & J for lunch 3xWeek! I do this because we can't eat cold cuts and we have to limit our fish intake...what do they want us to eat? Oh well. Looks like I need to change my diet soon!

    Your baby boy looks healthy and amazing! I'm so glad we're going through this together. Lets just wait to see how are husbands handle fatherhood and full time school next year ;)

    So glad to see you're both doing well!

    ReplyDelete