Monday, December 7, 2009

LA

So...I'm failing at this whole blog thing, but as an early New Year's resolution, I'm going to attempt to be better!

We're now up in LA living in Woodland Hills in "the Valley". Mark Thomas is almost half way through his first year of law school at Pepperdine and it is every bit as hard as he was expecting it to be. It's such a rough life, spending all your time on one of Princeton Review's most beautiful campuses... I am suffering from a terrible bout of unemployment. I don't particularly want to talk about it, but I'm making the best of all my down time, honing my sewing skills and taking full advantage of living so close to the fashion district! Becoming the crazy craft lady is not without its perils though, as I learned from a trip to the emergency clinic in November. I attempted to cut off my thumb with a rotary blade, but luckily a bone got in the way :). I'll spare you any pictures, but it does look satisfyingly hard core.

We don't love living in LA, not sure that we ever will. The people are jerks for the most part (do not use a turning signal because it warns people where you want to go and allows them to keep you from getting there). The weather is mostly too hot and dry and it's nothing but people and buildings as far as the eye can see. We have made a lot of wonderful friends though, mostly other Pepperdine law students and our new church ward is great. It's a small group and it's nice to feel like we're a needed addition to it.

We kicked off the holiday season right with a birthday bash to celebrate our new place with new friends. I was impressed by the gusto with which these kids played Rock Band. Thanksgiving was as always, tasty. It was a smaller crew than normal, but we made the most of it by eating our weight in stuffing. We also decided it would be a brilliant idea for just me, Mark, Mark Sr. and Sylvi to move the world's heaviest entertainment unit into a different room to make room for Mark Sr.'s new toy......It's not a proper Wheeler gathering apparently unless you attempt to do manual labor usually reserved for groups with twice the man-power.
I may not love LA, but I can't complain too much because I can still visit the beach and take in sunsets like this whenever I need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment